The early bird catches the worm? Ugh, who likes worms? But we can learn how really successful people start their days. Important people, RICH people. Here are 5 of those things successful people do before 8 a.m.
1. EXERCISE. Most people that work out daily, work out in the morning. Exercise will start your day with an energy boost AND a sense of accomplishment.
2. MAP OUT YOUR DAY. Planning your day from start to finish will focus you and the quiet of morning is the perfect time to plan it all out. And leave time for a 10 or 15 minute break after a stressful meeting, or take a walk around the block or some quiet meditation at your desk. Nutritious snacks are a great “stoker” too.
3. EAT A HEALTHY BREAKFAST. You need fuel in your car for the day ahead and fuel in your body, so you can concentrate on your busy schedule and not your growling stomach. A quick bowl of granola with the kids can energize and vitalize you for the day ahead. Don’t skip it.
4. VISUALIZATION. Take some time to visualize and think about the day looming before you, focusing on the successes you will have. That kind of positive thinking can help improve your mood and outlook for the challenges and the opportunities that will come your way.
5. MAKE YOUR DAY TOP HEAVY. Often we have things to do that are less than pleasant, and putting them off until later in the day just stresses your whole day’s performance. Instead of worrying and anticipating about it, make it the very first appointment of the day. You’ll be freshest and more focused and have the most energy then. And thereafter the rest of your day gets easier and easier and your free time is so much more rewarding and relaxing. Beard that lion in his den as Job One.
Martin Kahn is a Counselor with SCORE South Palm Beach (www.scoresouthflorida.net)